The undefeated Grantsburg Pirates (11-0) football team will host the Elk Mound Mounders (9-2) Friday night at 7pm.
The headline will be Grantsburg’s John Chenal vs. Elk Mound’s Brady Redwine, but the story will be about the defenses.
- Common opponent: Durand.
- Grantsburg won last week in level 2 against the Panthers 30-20
- Elk Mound beat them three weeks prior to that, 24-14
- Elk Mound won the tough Dunn-St. Croix Conference outright with a 6-0 conference record
- Grantsburg has scored 110 more points (including just two in a 2-0 forfiet) than Elk Mound (473-363)
- Grantsburg has given up 70 fewer points than Elk Mound (124-194)
Elk Mound Mounders
- Elk Mound’s losses were to Chetek-Weyerhauser (20-6) on opening night and a week later to reigning Division 4 champs, St. Croix Central (42-7)
- The Mounders avenged their opening game loss to Chetek-Weyerhauser last week as they defeated them 33-6
- Lost the level 3 playoff game (this game) last year to Regis 21-20
- Since 2015 the Pirates are 34-2
The Chenal brothers
Brady Redwine (Jr.)
- Leads all rushers in Wisconsin with 2424 yards on 303 carries.
- 8.0 yards per carry.
- He is second in the state for touchdowns with 35.
John Chenal (Sr.)
- Is sixth in the state in rushing yards with 2078 on 171 carries.
- 12.2 yards per carry.
- He is fourth in the state for touchdowns with 34.
Here it is in chart form:
|Brady Redwine||303||2424 (1)||8.0||35 (2)|
|John Chenal||171||2078 (6)||12.2||34 (4)|
What to expect
Brady Redwine is fast, really fast. The Mounders offensive line only needs to hold a block for a split second for Brady to run through the hole created. He gets there quickly and at full speed.
Grantsburg only gives up 2.6 yards per carry, the Mounders gives up 4.7.
The edges of the Grantsburg defense will be tested. The Mounders are, obviously, run-heavy; only passing for an average of 44 yards a game. That is good news for Grantsburg as the front seven of the Pirates defense is more consistent than their defensive backfield, though the DB’s have made many plays this year as well (10 interceptions).
Brady Redwine will score a couple of times in this game, but overall the Pirates play a well-rounded game on both sides of the ball and wins the battle. Grantsburg moves a little closer to Camp Randall Stadium with a 34-20 victory over the Elk Mound Mounders.